Tuesday, June 9, 2009

G was an inconsolable newborn. She cried a lot: at night, in the morning, in the swing, in the rocking chair. There was very little we could do to help her no matter what we tried: a new hold, a new room, a new toy, a new song. Nothing worked. T and I would noticed, however, that there was this spot in the corner of her room where she would look, over my shoulder, behind me, where there was nothing but a blank wall, but when she looked on this spot, she would stop crying and just look at it. Sometimes she would even smile at the spot. T and I decided that that must be God back there, her old buddy from the womb, a familiar presence comforting her in her new alien world.

These days, G doesn't cry nearly as much and for the most part we can console her. She is becoming more and more connected to us and to the earthly things around her, her block toy, her purple blanket. It is those things and us, now that she goes to for comfort.

T and I sit around a lot and just talk about how perfect G is. The word miracle used for a baby really is no stretch. T and I had little to do with her creation. Babies come from somewhere much better and bigger than us. But as she gets older, even just a few months, and she is starting to understand the world, I wonder if she also starts to lose, little by little, that connection to that bigger, better place?

She no longer looks to that spot in the corner of her room for comfort.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moira!!! Amazing. I chanced upon your blog and can't believe how much you have changed. A writer and mom, with spaghetti sauce in the freezer? :) Your daughter is beautiful and you sound like a wonderful mother. Your words definitely hit home. I see that you don't want people to read your blog, but I might check in every once and a while, if it's okay with you! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My writing on my daughter's blog throws me into unchartered waters. With 40-plus years on the job, Motherhood never ceases to surprise. New emotions are popping into my psyche all the time. Did I ever believe how incredible it was to see my son bursting from the delivery room, hugging and crying "it is a boy!" And did I ever think of the wonder of watching my daughter become the Mother of a particular Gilly Girl who is just like her Mom. My daughter is growing into a loving Mom that has me bursting with pride. Go Grandmotherhood!!

    ReplyDelete